Sunday, May 25, 2008

Last Night of the Social Justice Series


the world I never knew…

week 4: my world>>my world

WEEK 1: MY WORLD >> MY STORY | week 2: my space >> my world | week 3: my community>> my world

god’s picture for the world…

Isaiah 65:20-25

20 “No longer will babies die when only a few days old.

No longer will adults die before they have lived a full life.

No longer will people be considered old at one hundred!

Only the cursed will die that young!

21 In those days people will live in the houses they build

and eat the fruit of their own vineyards.

22 Unlike the past, invaders will not take their houses and confiscate their

vineyards. For my people will live as long as trees,

and my chosen ones will have time to enjoy their hard-won gains.

23 They will not work in vain,

and their children will not be doomed to misfortune.

For they are people blessed by the Lord,

and their children, too, will be blessed.

24 I will answer them before they even call to me.

While they are still talking about their needs,

I will go ahead and answer their prayers!

25 The wolf and the lamb will feed together.

The lion will eat hay like a cow.

But the snakes will eat dust.

In those days no one will be hurt or destroyed on my holy mountain.

I, the Lord, have spoken!”

living like royalty…

Exodus 19:6

And you will be my kingdom of priests, my holy nation.’ This is the message you must give to the people of Israel.”

god’s people…part of the problem

Mark 7:20-23

20 And then he added, “It is what comes from inside that defiles you. 21 For from within, out of a person’s heart, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, 22 adultery, greed, wickedness, deceit, lustful desires, envy, slander, pride, and foolishness. 23 All these vile things come from within; they are what defile you.”

Ezekiel 34:8

As surely as I live, says the Sovereign Lord, you abandoned my flock and left them to be attacked by every wild animal. And though you were my shepherds, you didn’t search for my sheep when they were lost. You took care of yourselves and left the sheep to starve.

WHEN I LOOK AT THE WORLD… WHAT DO I SEE?

god’s people… part of the solution

Matthew 5:13-16

13 “You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor? Can you make it salty again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless.

14 “You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. 15 No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.

Micah 6:8

…the Lord has told you what is good,

and this is what he requires of you:

to do what is right, to love mercy,

and to walk humbly with your God.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN FOR ME TO BE PART OF THE SOLUTION?

royalty reloaded…

1 Peter 2:9

But you are not like that, for you are a chosen people. You are royal priests, a holy nation, God’s very own possession. As a result, you can show others the goodness of God, for he called you out of the darkness into his wonderful light.

HOW WILL I SHARE THE WEAKNESS OF THE WEAK…

…IN MY LIFE?

…IN MY SCHOOL?

…IN MY COMMUNITY?

…IN MY WORLD?

No comments: