Monday, May 5, 2008

Sunday Nights Youth Group

Last Night in youth group we began a series on Social Justice. We are looking at how we as Christians are to address the oppressed and marginalized in our world. Following our the notes...

the world I never knew

week 1: my world>>my story

the world and its pain…

Habbakuk 1:2-4

2 How long, O Lord, must I call for help? But you do not listen! “Violence is

everywhere!” I cry, but you do not come to save.

3 Must I forever see these evil deeds? Why must I watch all this misery?

Wherever I look, I see destruction and violence. I am surrounded by people who

love to argue and fight.

4 The law has become paralyzed, and there is no justice in the courts. The

wicked far outnumber the righteous, so that justice has become perverted.

where is God in the world?

How would you respond to this Question?


hope for the world…

Luke 4:16-20

16 When he came to the village of Nazareth, his boyhood home, he went as usual to the synagogue on the Sabbath and stood up to read the Scriptures. 17 The scroll of Isaiah the prophet was handed to him. He unrolled the scroll and found the place where this was written:

18 “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,

for he has anointed me to bring Good News to the poor.

He has sent me to proclaim that captives will be released,

that the blind will see,

that the oppressed will be set free,

19 and that the time of the Lord’s favor has come.*”

20 He rolled up the scroll, handed it back to the attendant, and sat down. All eyes in the synagogue looked at him intently. 21 Then he began to speak to them. “The Scripture you’ve just heard has been fulfilled this very day!”

…a picture of Jesus at work in the world

Jesus summarized this message by reducing The Commandments to two:

Love God and Love your neighbor”. His life was an example of compassion for the blind, the lame, the sick and the destitute – those who were either outcasts or who disturbed peoples’ comfort zones.

Acts 1:8

8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

Isaiah 1:17

Learn to do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the cause of orphans. Fight for the rights of widows.

…a picture of Jesus’ followers at work in the world

my world, my story…

1 Corinthians 9:19-23

19 Even though I am a free man with no master, I have become a slave to all people to bring many to Christ. 20 When I was with the Jews, I lived like a Jew to bring the Jews to Christ. When I was with those who follow the Jewish law, I too lived under that law. Even though I am not subject to the law, I did this so I could bring to Christ those who are under the law. 21 When I am with the Gentiles who do not follow the Jewish law,* I too live apart from that law so I can bring them to Christ. But I do not ignore the law of God; I obey the law of Christ.

22 WHEN I AM WITH THOSE WHO ARE WEAK, I SHARE THEIR WEAKNESS, for I want to bring the weak to Christ. Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone, doing everything I can to save some. 23 I do everything to spread the Good News and share in its blessings.

what injustice have i experienced?

what injustice have i caused?

what injustice have i ignored?



No comments: